Quick Links
Skip to main contentSkip to navigation

Central A&M CUD 21



Ajax Loading Image


Summer EBT Information

SUMMER EBT         

What is Summer EBT?
Summer EBT, or SUN Bucks, is a new permanent nutrition program authorized U.S. Department of 
Agriculture (USDA) to help families buy food for their school-aged children during the summer. SUN 
Bucks 2024 will provide a $120 annual benefit to eligible children via an Electronic Benefit 
Transfer (EBT) issuance by the Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) later this summer. More 
basic information on the new federal program is available on the USDA website at 
www.fns.usda.gov/sebt/household. Illinois is one of 36 states that have announced their intent to 
launch Summer EBT in summer 2024.

Is my child eligible?
Your child is eligible for SUN Bucks if:
• Your child is identified as direct certified due to participation in SNAP, TANF, income-eligible 
Medicaid (185% of the federal poverty guideline), or is identified as foster, homeless, or migrant.
• Your child attends a school that offers the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and/or School 
Breakfast Program (SBP), and your household income meets the requirements for free or reduced- 
price school meals. (A household can complete a Household Eligibility Application (HEA) at schools 
participating in NSLP/SBP at any point during the school year. Contact your school for an HEA.)

How do I enroll my child in SUN Bucks?
If your household has already been notified of automatic eligibility, your child will be 
automatically enrolled in the SUN Bucks program. You do not need to fill out an application. You 
will get a card in the mail sent to the address your child’s school has on file. (Households are 
encouraged to ensure that the enrolling school has your current mailing address.) If you are not 
automatically enrolled and believe your children are eligible, you can apply to receive SUN Bucks 
by filling out a simple application. A statewide Summer EBT application will be made available 
after the school year has ended. More details will be shared once they are available.

Who should I contact if I have questions?
Your school can assist you with basic questions about Summer EBT. However, households should visit 
the DHS website (www.dhs.state.il.us/) for information about Illinois Summer EBT. IDHS will be 
setting up a customer help line at (833) 621-0737 to assist families. The agency will be able to assist 
with such things as the card distribution timeline, usage, allowable expenses, and lost or 
misplaced cards.

Nondiscrimination Statement
In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights 
regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, 
color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or 
reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.
Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with 
disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., 
Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or 
local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA 
through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.
To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA 
Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online
at: https://www.usda.gov/sites/default/files/documents/ad-3027.pdf, from any USDA office, by 
calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the 
complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged 
discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 
(ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form 
or letter must be submitted to USDA by:
1. mail:   U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or
2. fax:   (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
3. email:   Program.Intake@usda.gov

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

May 2024